Tomato sauce in the slow cooker for kids
6 cups of cherry tomato
2 Red Onions (any onions can be used)
4 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Oregano (1 tsp dried or 1 tbsp. fresh)
Basil (1 tsp dried or 1 tbsp. fresh)
Pinch of Salt (Optional)
Pinch of Sugar (optional)
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Slow Cooker on low
Potato masher if you want it mushier
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time over 12 hours, even 15 for amazing thick sauce
This tomato sauce can be enjoyed on its own or to accompany other things, such as pasta. We use red onions as they are naturally sweeter than other types, however any can be used. You can substitute the cherry tomatoes for other tomatoes too.
1. Set the slow cooker to medium and let it heat up with the lid on. Beware, the slow cooker will get very hot.
2. Peel the onions and chop into small chunks, taking great care when you do this, get an adult to help if you need and add to the slow cooker along with the olive oil
3. Peel the garlic and grate, add to the slow cooker along with the black pepper and stir
4. Leave for around 5 minutes to cook but not brown the onions.
5. While you are waiting, put the cherry tomatoes into the bowl and squeeze between your fingers until they have all popped.
6. Once the onions have cooked, turn down the slow cooker to low and add the tomatoes.
7. Add the Basil and Oregano, salt and sugar if you are using them
8. Put on the lid, ensure it is shut properly and leave for over 12 hours
9. Return, stir, taste and decide if you wish to cook them longer, you may need to add some water
10. Once cooked you can mash with a potato masher if you wish the sauce to be less chunky.
You can then eat the tomato sauce or let it cool and put it in the fridge for upto 4 days or freeze it for upto 3 months. I would advise putting them into portion size containers and freezing, not in one large one or it will all need defrosting and you cannot then freeze again.
We love to add this tomato sauce to spaghetti, you can have it on its own or add some protein such as tofu or cooked veg for a different taste, you can top it off with cheese to make it extra tasty. You can even stir through your caramelised onions for a sweet boost. Top off with a fresh sprig of your basil.